Writing in notebooks is quite different from typing on computer. For making presentation or formal research report, it is essential to write in different writing style format available in Microsoft Word. If you have never used this writing format then this guideline will help you in becoming use to it whilst easy learning steps. APA citation style is a very useful skill and writing style that will be helping you well throughout your professional life even after crossing school and college life.
The APA format
The‘APA format’ is an author-date writing style for citing and referencing in order to complete assignments and publications. APA format is the official style of American Psychological Association (APA) and is most commonly used in subjects of psychology, social science, education. This style was first originated in 1892 with basic guidelines that are virtually expanded as time expanded till the publishing manual, sixth edition in 2010.
Before writing any writing style, first clearly check the referencing format preferred to be used as there are different format styles used in schools and colleges. To get a better understanding, first remember what is‘referencing’. It is a uniform way of acknowledging the sources of information and thoughts you have placed in your assignments. Referencing is important to avoid plagiarism and to validate content that has been presented in front of the reader.
Why APA Matters To Your Audience?
Regardless of any subject or topic you are writing, if the requirement is to write in APA then you have to help communication of your ideas through writing in a scientific way with goals and objectivity to be precision. Others should easily understand it. Using APA helps to keep your personalize style and peculiarity from affecting the research of the report. When you are using APA format you feel more comfortable with its conventions as it reflects the quality of your thinking.
Finally the Guidelines
When you are officially instructed to write an APA format paper, you should first read the guidelines to follow through:
- Start with some rules: the paper size of 8.5 x 11 inches with margins of 1 inch on all sides. Typed in 12-point font with double spaced and remember to use Times New Roman as a font.
Four key sections that you should always remember while writing your paper
- Title: It should contain a running header as‘Title’, your name and affiliation.
- Abstract: A short summary of your paper, to be placed after the Title page with no more than 250 words.
- Main Body: This section is dependable on the topic, introduction, result and discussion to be discussed with information that is more detailed.
- Reference: This section will include all the references you have used to write a piece of work.
If you have understood the guidance about APA format style, these points will add value to your academic and professional work.